Skip to main content

Being Present

CHOP WOOD CARRY WATER" Greeting Card for Sale by starkle | Redbubble

     There is a book called Chop Wood Carry Water, and its main focus is learning to enjoy the process.  This book is about a man who decides to drop everything and follow his dream to becoming a Samurai Archer; he arrives at the school and is ready to start shooting arrows, but the first thing they have him do is chop wood and carry water; the village does not have heat or running water, so it relies on people to chop wood and carry water.  The main character is frustrated that he isn't shooting on the range, so one day he blows up on his sensei.  His sensei tells him that he must work and earn his way to being an archer, and first it starts by supporting his community by chopping wood and carrying water.  Through many lessons and parables as the book goes on, the sensei teaches the main character that in order to perform to the best of your ability, in whatever he is doing, he must learn to be present in that moment.

    I started reading this book because a clinician at Iron Sharpens Iron (a wrestling camp I went to almost every summer) told us campers about it.  He helped us craft goals that didn't align with the uncontrollables (placements at tournaments), but the controllables (how hard we work).  One of my favorite quotes from this book is, "the ultimate illusion of the human experience is control.  The person you want beside you in battle is the guy who has surrendered the outcome, and surrendered to the fact that he might die.  When you surrender the outcome, you are freed up to be at your best, to be in the moment, and tot trust your training."  I think this quote resonates so strongly with me for many reasons; it stresses the fact that the outcome is uncontrollable, and the only thing that can be controlled is what one does in a moment.

    In previous years with wrestling, I have always created goals for myself that involved placing at a certain position in a tournament (oftentimes winning nationals or placing top 3).  I would get so upset when I failed at reaching those goals that I completely overlooked all of the growth I had achieved while attempting that goal.  My junior year, I was so focused on my state finals match, not focused on the task at hand, that I lost my semi-finals match in overtime, even though I had won state the previous years, and I was supposed to walk through the bracket this year.  Being present is so important; in life, the only thing you have to do is die; everything else you choose to do, so it's time we all start to choose with a purpose and really enjoy what those choices are.

Comments

  1. I liked how you applied your own experience with the main lesson of the book. I have always told myself that the past is in the past, the future is yet to come and the present is right now. It really made me reflect and think about that lesson my dad told me. I definitely consider purchasing the book, it has piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Paragraphs

Three paragraphs.  Three.  Paragraphs.  Who am I?  Who?  Am?  I?  You want me to tell you who I am in a minimum of three paragraphs.  Is it possible for me to tell you who I am in a maximum of three paragraphs?  Can I even try and sum up to you who I am in one sentence?  In a paragraph?  I can try.  I am a body and a soul.  I have a brain, along with logic and reason.  I like to read.  I am a wrestler.  I am a child of God.  I am Catholic.  I am a swimmer.  I am blonde.  I am five feet and four-and-a-quarter inches tall.  I wear a size nine and a half women’s shoe and a seven in men’s.  I know my men’s size because up until 2021, there were no wrestling shoes that ran in women’s sizes.  I am an advocate for the sanctioning of women’s wrestling as a high school sport, especially in, but not limited to, Iowa.  I am a girl from Iowa that does what she loves.  I am a girl who drives around, blasting her KLOVE for all to hear.  I am a girl who goes to weekday masses.   Three paragraphs.  I

Flowers

Flowers are gorgeous, And they should be treated right. I felt gorgeous, too. When someone says to Treat something right, they mean that It should be taken Very good care of. Flowers should have the backs of Other flowers, and  Make sure they're okay. A rose should help a daisy If a human tries To trample on her And destroy what makes her safe. Humans can be harsh. When a rose does not Have the back of a daisy, The daisy can be Hurt in a way that She can never fully heal From, and that's tragic. The rose did her best To save the daisy, but she Slipped up for a split Second, and the man Was able to inflict pain To the daisy that She may never come To fully heal. The daisy Does not blame the rose. It is sad flowers Are required to have each Others' backs to stay Safe from men when they Are in such a public place, But that is the case.

Update on My Research Process

    I have been working on my  research for this research paper, and I have found three sources.  I have one .edu source and two scholarly articles for sources.  One of these scholarly articles is from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the other is an original research paper (I believe it was an anthropological study).     In the past, I have taken the approach of a politician almost, and that has caused me to take quotes out of context and use them to my advantage.  While this does create a paper with evidence, it also creates an argument that isn't solid.  I will not be doing this for this paper because I am actually writing about something I care about.  I am not a politician that constantly takes someone else's words and uses them out of context to benefit myself; the only time I have ever done it is in one research paper in high school.   I have found overwhelming support for many of my claims,--I plan to discuss both ends of the spectrum throughout the whole paper,