Skip to main content

Being a Student Athlete

The Truth About Being a Student-Athlete – Roxbury Review
    Being a student athlete is difficult. To be honest, I did not have a hard time being a student athlete in high school, but I have had a rough time adjusting this fall. Additionally, on top of team lifts and practices, wrestlers have to make sure they get in enough workouts to keep their weight down. This takes up a lot of time. 
    The last week, I have really had to hone in on my weight, and that has caused the need for me to adjust my schedule and find new time to do homework. I have not, until just the other day, figured out how to rearrange my schedule to fit everything, while still prioritizing my sleep. It's so weird because from Thursday-Sunday, I just forgot that school existed.
    One of the biggest things coach reminds us is that we are "student-athletes;" that is a student first and athletes second. Coach tells us that if we don't find the classroom, and our grades, important, then we don't find wrestling, and the team, important; this is because if our grades aren't good enough, then we won't be able to wrestle. Balancing workouts, classes, and homework has been difficult, but I am starting to figure it out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sky Can Pull Herself Together

    I wonder how often rain falls, and out of the times it does rain, I wonder what the most common kind of rain is.  Is the most common form of rain a drizzle, mist, pouring rain, thunderstorm, or something else?  I think one of my most favorite things about rain is the silence.  After almost every storm, there is a silence that lingers. How quickly the sky can pull herself together, after the storm, is beautiful.     I admire the sky.  She can go through so much destruction, yet pull herself together all the same. Sometimes she doesn't fully get it together until the sunset or rise, but she still does.  She is so capable.  Maybe I am, too.     No matter what you are going through, you are like the sky.  There are many things that could  happen, and a lot of them can be uncalled for, unfair, and something no one should ever have to go thorough, but you can pull yourself together.  Whatever destru...

Ubuntu

     There is an African word that does not translate easily into English. This word is "ubuntu." This word essentially means "I am because you are," or "we rise by lifting others." This word is not a word, but a way of life. Ubuntu means I can not reach my full capability if my neighbor/friend does not reach their full capability . This way of life is life changing.     Think about what would happen if everyone tried to live ubuntu. Everyone would be trying to help each other rise. There would be a sense of unity. the 2008 Boston Celtics used this mentality to help propel them to a very successful season (the first in a long time). The coach told the rookies to go research the word and sell it to the team. They did a phenomenal job, and that is the main reason the team worked so well together.     As a coach some day, I would love to incorporate this into wrestling. Wrestling is seen as an individual sport most of the tim...